Friday, April 23, 2010

Fast Fix Friday: Southwest Chicken Quesadillas & Edamame Salad



I found the Quesadilla recipe in Parents magazine and the Edamame Salad here.  The quesadillas are great because they give a little variation to one of our favorites.  My husband loved them.  The edamame salad is more for people who love cilantro.  I suppose you could leave it out but I feel that the salad wouldn't have the kick that only the cilantro could give it.  If you do leave it out and it's delish, let me know.  Anyway the salad is a favorite around our house and I've been asked for the recipe many times.  I hope you love it too.

Southwest Chicken Quesadillas
                  

Ingredients
chicken breast tenders (I always have a big bag on hand in the freezer for things like this)
1 T Mrs Dash fiesta lime seasoning blend
2/3 C chopped red pepper
1/3 C frozen corn
8 6 inch corn tortillas (I used uncooked flour tortillas, cuz they're yummy)
shredded cheddar cheese
1 T olive oil
1 clove garlic
nonstick cooking spray


 Directions

Chop red pepper, set aside.  Coarsely chop chicken and toss with seasoning. 
Heat oil in large skillet, add chicken and garlic.  
Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes or until meat is no longer pink inside.
Add pepper and corn to chicken and cook for 2 minutes.  
Spoon filling onto 4 of the tortillas.  Sprinkle with cheese and top with remaining tortillas.
Spritz griddle with nonstick spray and heat.  Put tortillas on griddle, cook each side until browned.



Edamame Salad

1 1/2 C frozen shelled edamame (soy beans, you can find them at smiths)
1/4 C olive oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (I leave these out)
1/2 C chopped red onion (if the onion is really strong I put in about 1/4 C)
2 C thinly sliced celery
2 T fresh lime juice
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp finely chopped garlic (or minced)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper


Directions

Thaw edemame in a bowl of warm water while chopping other ingredients.  Mix all ingredients and let stand for 10 minutes, to let flavors blend.  Chill and serve.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

JaNeil said...

Chicken quesadillas are a favorite at our house too, especially in the summer topped with fresh homemade salsa. I also use half pepper jack, half cheddar to give them a little more kick. I am excited to try the etamame salad. I purchased a big box at Costco after our last visit there and need to use it up.

Kenzie said...

This looks so good...now I'm hungry again!

Gwen said...

Ooooh, I want to try the salad. I love everthing in it, except the cilantro of course. :) I'm sure it will still be super tasty even without it. Sending you a yummy recipe via email.