Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fluffy Rice Bag Cozy






We've had a couple of chilly, rainy days and I was wishing I had a cozy to heat up and put on my feet.  So I decided to make one.  A super girly one especially for me.  Here's how I made mine.


Cut out a piece of fabric to the size and shape you prefer.  Fold in half right sides together. I used bleached muslin so it didn't really matter which sides I used.


Sew around the edges leaving one small side open to fill with rice.  Turn ride sides out.  Fill with rice. Fold in edges, pin if needed, sew closed.


Then I decided to make a cover I could wash, because it's white and I knew it would get all grimy and dirty. 


Then I wanted to dress up my cover. Cut a bunch of smallish squares.  It doesn't matter if they are uniform or straight.


Fold a square and then fold it again.  Hand sew or machine sew to your cover.  Keep going with more squares till you get your desired look. In my case I hand sewed them all on first, then I machine sewed them because I felt they needed reinforcement.  If you decide to sew on fluffies to a cover like I did, then I suggest machine sewing them to one side of the cover before you sew the cover sides together. It's a real pain otherwise to get in there.


Now sew Velcro to the inside edges of your cover.


Done.


I wasn't done though.  I knew white wouldn't be realistic for me so I decided to dye mine pink with a tie dye kit that I had.


I didn't wait the amount of time that the box suggested. I dyed my cover and then took it straight to the washing machine because I didn't want it to be too dark.
 

I love the way it turned out.  The fluffies are much softer now and there is still some white showing.  It does sort of have a tie dye effect.  It's super soft and girly. Perfect.  My little girl loves it too.  She's been trying to lug it around all morning.  Maybe I'll let her have it.  Let me know if you make a fun fluffy cozy too. :o) Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Kenzie said...

So cute! I love the fluffies!

Gwen said...

Oh, I want one!